Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Farm



This past weekend my husband went to a motorcycle race with his brother so the kids and I drove out to my mom and dad's and spent the day at their farm.

I love our little place and there is no where else I would rather live, but my parents farm will always hold the most special place in my heart.

Seven years ago this September Cameron and I were married there in front of their farmhouse.
I remember hopping in my car as soon as we got back from our honeymoon and driving straight to the farm and when I cleared the trees and saw it in the distance I started to cry.

It was so hard to leave.

I had no idea the plans and adventures the Lord had in store for my future with my new husband, but I had made a vow to trust Him and we both agreed we would go wherever he planned to lead us.
Now here we are six moves later and living back in Missouri and I now enjoy the farm by watching my children learn and enjoy it much the was I used to when I was a little girl.

I love seeing my kids get excited when I mention to them that we are heading out to grandma and papas. They immediately throw on their rubber boots and Weston usually wants to tote a sack of tractors to show his papa.


They love my niece Halle
She is four years older that Weston and six years older than Ally, but years and age differences have not kept them from becoming best friends.
I have three brothers, but I am closest to my brother Blake, Halle's daddy and seeing his child love and play with my children the way we used to strums a special string in my heart.

Halle just bought (or her daddy ;) ) her first dairy heifer as her 4-H project this year.
She named her Estella and meeting "stella" as the kids call her was one of the main reasons we went out to the farm in the first place.


Her calf is a little spunky and this is as close as we could get to her.
I am so excited to take the kids to our local county fairs this summer to see Halle and Estella :)
My brother Blake and I showed registered Guernsey's too when we were younger!


Halle and Blake went home after working with "Stella" and the kids and I stayed the afternoon.
We didnt plan on staying for dinner, but we did and I am so glad.

The kids love to go help my dad feed the big herd hay.
Usually I stay behind and help mom do the dishes and take care of McCoy, but mom insisted I go out with them that night.
I think she was wanting some snuggles ;)

I am so glad I went.
It was chilly and when we climbed into dad's old farm truck a rush of memories flooded in.
They stood up in the seat and told me about the hay bale on the back and how papa fed it to his cows and what is sounded like when he unrolled it.


Ally climbed up on my dad's lap just like I used to I whispered a prayer of thanks.
One of the hardest things when we lived away was that we had to live in the city and it broke my heart to think of my children never knowing what life in the country would be like.
God heard, God knew my heart and had a beautiful plan all along.

As we pulled back into the driveway the sun was setting and I can't tell you how special a barnyard is at dusk.

The kids weren't ready to go in so my dad let them feed "stella" more grain, sorry Blake.


My dad and the kids ended up playing out in his barn for another thirty minutes after I went in.
We headed home in the dark with strawberry milks and bags of crackers in tow and I drove home with a smile on my face the whole way as my babies slept soundly after playing hard all day.






No comments: